Pregnancy Is Wack (Part II): What Placenta And Cancer Have In Common

The more I learn about science, the more awe I feel over the very existence of literally anything. Seriously. When you think about the world on an atomic level like I do, it is amazing to me that atoms come together to form molecules that eventually come to compose an entire person. Nowhere is this … Continue reading Pregnancy Is Wack (Part II): What Placenta And Cancer Have In Common

Advertisements

Not Your Mother’s Hair Dye: New Graphene Technology Could Change The Future Of Black Hair

When I was a little kid, I desperately wanted to have black hair. My natural hair color is already a pretty dark brown, but I always loved the look of the long black hair my mother used to have when she was young. Of course, my mother never allowed me to dye my hair even … Continue reading Not Your Mother’s Hair Dye: New Graphene Technology Could Change The Future Of Black Hair

What Even Is Cheese? (Part I): The Major Components

I was getting a salad at the cafeteria on campus the other day and there were four cheese options—so I chose all of them. The thought then occurred to me, “what even is cheese, and why are they all so different?” Thus began a delightful search into the molecules that make up cheese. The major … Continue reading What Even Is Cheese? (Part I): The Major Components

You Can Teach Old Dogs New Tricks: Using Touch Screens To Improve Your Pet’s Health

Touch screens are everywhere in modern day life. We use them to communicate with each other, to do our jobs, and sometimes to distract ourselves from that work. But have you ever considered using them to improve your pet’s health? Certainly, most internet denizens are familiar with the entertainment apps available for pets that allow … Continue reading You Can Teach Old Dogs New Tricks: Using Touch Screens To Improve Your Pet’s Health

How Finches Learn Songs: Genetics Versus Experience

Bird songs—we hear them every day as we move from one place to another in our busy lives. Birds use these songs to communicate with each other about everything from the location of food to finding a mate. But how do birds actually learn their songs and what can that teach us about our own … Continue reading How Finches Learn Songs: Genetics Versus Experience

Pregnancy Is Wack (Part I): Cervical Mucus And Why I Study It

Mucus—every wet surface of our bodies is coated in it. It helps to lubricate our organs, protect us from our environments, and prevents infection by microorganisms. While mucus is 90% water, the other 10% is a complex mixture of biological molecules whose composition and consistency depends on where in the body you find it. For … Continue reading Pregnancy Is Wack (Part I): Cervical Mucus And Why I Study It